How to fulfil the requirements of WFTO FTGS, guides and templates
The 'Internal Monitoring System' describes how your organisation works especially how and why it sources and sells the products that it does. It references all the key documents that define your organisation, the agreements it has it place the policies it follows, how it follows these guidelines, by who and the frequency of it happening. For an example of an Internal Monitoring System see the People Tree IMS attached here.
The work of the WFTO FTGS can be divided into two areas:
1. Internal policies and implementation
2. Supply chain policies and implementation
If your organisation does not deal with other groups (a producer organisation) then the focus is in area 1 if it buys from a Fair Trade supply chain then this supply chain must be checked and monitored.
Fair Trade Organisations are members of WFTO which are monitored by the WFTO system (or equivilant eg FLO). Those groups within the Fair Trade supply chain that are not monitored by WFTO (unverified Fair Trade Producer Groups) need be carefully checked and worked with to ensure Fair Trade principles are maintained. For unverified groups a system for monitoring part of the 'Internal Monitoring System' needs to be developed.
The internal monitoring system will detail how 'unverified Fair Trade Producer Groups' groups that are not WFTO members are monitored. People Tree has the following stages to thier 'Internal Monitoring System for unverified groups' .
- Know your organisation and Producer Groups - draw clear organogram of the organisation and how it fits together with all the Producer Groups (if any) and how many people full time and part time in each Producer Group. (for example see the template FTO + subgroup blank pdf). Every Fair Trade Organisation or Producer Group should have a clear list of all its producers (see template Subgroupproducerlist)
- Risk Assessment this template can be used for Risk analysis during a visit to the Producer Group
- Embedding the Fair Trade principles, watch the video which guides you through how to engage the producers in monitoring the Producer group against the
10 standards http://www.vimeo.com/23363692. Engage all producers in the process and record and communicate the results to all participants. (see template symbol for template in which to record your results and icons for 10 principles for ideas for symbols)
- Wage interviews these need to be random and conducted in a safe place